Perl 5 version 12.4 documentation
perluts - Perl under UTS
This document can be read as is: as README.uts, or you can read it after you build your package using "man perluts".
The purpose is to help you build Perl for UTS, which, if you follow these instructions, should be easy, and result in a solidly working installation.
Perl 5.7.2 (Developmental) or Perl 5.8.x (forthcoming) for UTS
BUILDING PERL ON UTS
NOTE: Some sites have redefined the way uname works, and if yours does this, special steps must be taken so that Configure can recognize your system as a UTS system. To see if you are in this category, issue the command "uname -a". It should look something like:
- uts juno 4 4.4 9672 370
At any rate, the first field should be "uts". If this is not the case; supposing it is, say telcoUTS, create a script, uts/uname (i.e. uname, in the subdirectory "uts" of the main Perl source dir): # uname /usr/bin/uname "$@" | sed -e 's/^telcoUTS/uts/'
and when you execute Configure, do it as below, except for adding PATH=uts:$PATH as a prefix. I.e. do:
- PATH=uts:$PATH ./Configure ...
There is no need to do an interactive configure, just type
- ./Configure -de [-Dusedevel] [-Doptimize=-g ] 2>&1 | tee Conf.out
"-Dusedevel" may be required to configure Perl 5.7.2 non-interactively. Use -Doptimize=-g if you want to run Perl under sdb or gdb, OR if you want to be able to use the -D command line flags to perl, which are occasionally useful in debugging perl scripts.
In this and the following steps, the "2>&1 | tee XXX.out" records all output from the process, which will be useful if anything unexpected goes wrong.
Then do the compilation with
- make 2>&1 | tee make.out
Finally, test using
- make test 2>&1 | tee make-test.out
In the output, the only failures you should see should look like:
- lib/Math/BigInt/t/bigfltpm.........Use of uninitialized value ...
- FAILED at test 57
- lib/Math/BigInt/t/bigintpm.........FAILED at test 204
- lib/Math/BigInt/t/mbimbf...........Use of uninitialized value ...
- Illegal division by zero at ../lib/Math/BigInt/Calc.pm line 314.
- FAILED at test 71
- lib/Math/Complex...................exp: OVERFLOW
- FAILED at test 250
- lib/Math/Trig......................exp: OVERFLOW
- lib/Net/servent....................FAILED at test 0
This means that everything passes except for some problems in the packages "Math::BigInt", "Math::Complex", and "Math::Trig". The lib/Net/servent failure seems to be a bug in the test program. To confirm this, from the main Perl source dir, do:
- LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` ./perl -Ilib lib/Net/servent.t
and it should output
- ok 1
- ok 2
- ok 3
Installing the built perl on UTS
Run the command "make install"
- Hal Morris
- UTS Global LLC
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org